Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Communication Technologies: Past, Present and Future

j0439359

If you are reading this article on-line, you win a "point" for being up to date in using some of the latest technologies.

This article focuses on past, present and future accessibility and technologies that have greatly benefited the deaf / hard of hearing community over the past 30 years or so.  The list is not all inclusive, but contains a list of topics (technologies) that continue to be mainstream today. 

 

  • For the younger crowd, this chart can help provide an insight to the limited technologies and services of the past. 
  • For those of you who are younger than baby boomers a.k.a. Generation X, Y, Millennials and Z (I.e. 1964+ or younger), many of you can relate to the topics discussed. 
  • For seniors, the chart can provide you with an update on what technologies are available for your use, and give you a chance to learn something new.

The linked chart was developed from comments from others, my own experiences and perspectives.  The chart contents may be updated overtime as I receive comments and continue to expand on it.   You do not necessarily have to agree to what is listed.

Since the chart is too wide and long for display on this blog, it has been converted into an Acrobat PDF file and posted on Comcast - click on the link below.

[Click to see: Chart of Communication Technologies: Past, Present and Future]

This blog is open to receiving feedback and discussions based on this topic.

2 comments:

mervynjames224 said...

Not all 'advances' are welcomed ! Personally although I am able to access things like Twitter, My Space, Facebook, Bebo etc, I have no desire to, and a member of none of them. I am no luddite, but along with innovation comes expolitation. I think the dangers are not being made aware of much in the headlong drive to get the latest thing. Who could have foresaw Facebook/Twitter as the most purile form of social interaction there is ? Here young people use it, and all that entails, which is 95% total inanity and trivia. Hence I never offer any links to either.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I enjoyed reading your chart. As a gen Xer I have lived through these changes. LOL we have a rotary dial phone installed on our basement wall and a neighborhood kid was clueless how to use it. A coworker of mine has never used a typewriter. Working in a library, I have been impacted professionally by these developments. Google makes working the reference desk lots easier and less busy!
Thanks for posting this chart. I want to share it with my son who can't imagine life without the internet.
All the best,
Sarah